Medicinal properties in foods can help the body stay warm during these winter months. Enjoy a variety of these Winter-warming foods to feel the complete nutritional benefits for your health and wellbeing!
– Ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, cumin, paprika, chilli, cayenne, black pepper, nutmeg and allspice not only help the body stay warm, but also boost the immune and digestive systems. (Just make sure its not so spicy that you sweat as your body will be losing heat.)
– Natural oils such as coconut oil can also be used as a moisturiser, which will prevent the body from losing heat through dry skin.
– Wholegrains such as rolled oats, brown rice, quinoa, buckwheat and millet give immediate warmth and also provide needed complex carbohydrates to fuel the body’s engine. These grains are a good source of B vitamins and magnesium, which help the thyroid and adrenal glands better regulate the body’s temperature when their function naturally slows down from the colder weather.
– Root vegetables (carrot, beets, parsnips) and cruciferous vegetables naturally take longer to grow, so they hold high amounts of nutrients to keep you energised through winter.
– Seeds such as sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds or sesame seeds are small, dense and nutritionally compact which are warming as they raise blood pressure in the body and increase blood circulation to digest and metabolise optimizing the energy your body uses from your food.